Wednesday, June 4, 2014

OWN IT

Okay, let me start out by saying I hate the mundane tasks of following up with simple trivial things that should not be needed in our society.  There are other things that need attention in my life, rather than following up with my health insurance company to verify that we still have the SAME insurance coverage that we have had for the past TEN years.  So, what do I do? Call them.  Completely annoyed with the fact I cannot get a live representative, and I have punched in my identification number several times, and it keeps asking me to repeat myself. (UGH! Please excuse me while I rant.)  America, can we PLEASE stop being greedy and reinstate phone representatives without having to go through the pre-recorded phone teller 10 times?
(Sorry, I'm back.)  Suddenly, to my astonishment I throw a book down.

Yep, that's it.  The colors book right on top.

I just couldn't take it.  I had become so disgruntled that I lost my cool!  What happened?  How did I let myself get to this place?  Needless to say, when the phone representative get's on the phone, (ya'll already know) I got an attitude with Victoria.  Poor Victoria.  I took my frustrations in that moment out on a young lady who was trying to help me. What was wrong with me?

Recently, I have been reading a book I randomly got of f the shelf at my local library called, The Power of a Half Hour , by Tommy Barnett.  So simple, but so challenging and convicting all at the same time.  Well, whatta ya know, the chapter I read focused on attitude.  And in that moment all of my frustration became known before God and myself.  Why was I angry?  What caused me to have such a lack of self-control? How was God reflected toward Victoria over the phone?

In that still moment became something so sweet.  God's love showed me myself, my attitude.  He revealed to me that I need to own what really has crept its way back into my heart as poor habits.  "It" being poor habits of impatience, selfishness of time and poor planning to take care of a simple phone call.  I had to own it ya'll.

I love this quote by Tommy Barnett, "Your attitude is so much more than whether you are positive or negative toward the world around you.  Your attitude is a central part of who you are-and many people define you according to the attitude you project".

You must know, I am calling my insurance provider phone representative (Victoria) back to repent and ask for her forgiveness. Cause, Lord knows I don't want Jesus to be defined that way towards people on account of my part.  The One who controls my life is compassionate, loving, gracious, patient and self-controlled.

xoxo


Ponder: What poor habits or attitudes in your life have become a part of who you are?

Pause: Own it.

Petition: Tell Him. Listen. Do.

No comments :

Post a Comment