Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Thoughts on A 'Mommy Slump'

Hey! Come on In! (cyberspace kisses comin' right at ya)

 I am so happy you decided to drop on over and chit chat with me today.  A few days ago I shared a post about sending your family out into the world. If you didn't read it here's your chance.  Ok, now that that's settled, I talked about facing some 'teen growing pains' as I like to call them.  Well, these growing pains put me right in a 'mommy slump'.  Let me explain. I created a definition for it because I couldn't find one. (take that Merriam-Websters)



mommy slump (n.)
1. the ability to fall heavily into a somber, annoyed, frustrated or 'blah' state due to circumstances or situations outside of ones control.

As I researched articles online about the 'mommy slump' I got NOTHING that proved itself to be beneficial.  The articles provided me with how to escape, not how to deal and embrace what was going on within my heart and mind.  So, I questioned my own heart, "How did I get here? What has led me to this point and how do I get out of the slump (or ditch) and see daylight?"

My findings began to take me to a place of deliverance and freedom.  I found out that I was in a spiritual battle for my heart to stay connected to the Lord, to my teenage son and to choose joy even while my heart & my flesh weren't feelin' joyful.  It's difficult to stay connected to the Lord when there is Cleveland overcast, Daylight Savings Time change, challenges with teenagers, challenges with little children, and the rest of the day-to-day responsibilities as a woman, wife and mom.

So, here's the question;
How have I been staying connected and how can you do the same?  Great question!

1.  Communion with The Word: 
That's right.  It NEVER changes.  I have to have meetings with Jesus daily.  Yes, I said 'meetings'.  That is plural.  He is the source.  In moments when I felt like my heart and mind were being attacked towards who I am, I have leaned in to the book of Hebrews to carry me and remind of who HE is and who I am by grace alone.  It is faith alone that will carry the one whose soul is anchored alone in Christ!  Let Christ carry whatever is weighing on your soul.

2.  Connection with Community:
I CANNOT say enough about the importance of authentic, transparent and spiritually rooted relationships.  Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 says, "Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their efforts.  For if either falls, his companion can lift him up; but pity the one who falls without another to lift him up."  I am thankful for homies that will listen.  Not just girlfriends that will listen but, will pray, fast and whatever else.  They come alongside me to lift my arms and pick me up out of the 'mama' slump so we can press forward together. No 'mama' left behind!

3.  Courage to love others despite what I see:
This has been a process.  This courage looks like faithful diligence to engage my teenage son daily, despite my selfish desire not to. (It's real.  Sometimes I just don't feel like it.)  You know if you take 'i.s.' out of the selfish, the words can transform into the word "flesh".  And that's EXACTLY what was rising up within me, my flesh.  Flesh is a sinful nature that can operate from "I deserve..." instead of "How can I serve..."  I love how Paul put it in Romans 12:9, "Love must be without hypocrisy.  Detest evil; cling to what is good."  Well, what does this love look like?  Galatians2:19-20, one of my favorite bible verses reads, "For through the law I have died to the law, so that I might live for God.  I have been crucified with Christ and I (Te'Sheba) no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body , I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me." Christ was polar opposite of how my heart can feel.  Instead of being selfish, CHRIST was selfless! (slap some wide-eyed emoji cons right here!)

Ladies, here's my challenge to you that was given to me by my mentor ( I love you if you are reading this).  Thirty days. Three. Zero. That's right. 30 days of having courage to encourage that difficult spouse, teenager, child, sibling, boss, etc.  You know who your person is.  And if their isn't a person that is difficult, just encourage one person for 30 days straight.

Join me as I take the next 30 days on this blog, instagram and/or facebook to share some journal entries, time with God and matters of the heart toward how God wants me to courageously encourage my teenage son.

Comment below if you are on board with me.

xoxo,
Sheb

Ponder: Meditate on Hebrews 3, Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, Romans 12:9, Galatians 2:19-20 and Journal your thoughts.

Pause: Think about where you are in your heart right now.  Are you selfish or selfless?

Petition: Tell Him. Listen. Do.


No comments :

Post a Comment