Monday, June 9, 2014

Field Day

I love field day. There I said it. Pretty much every adult I know has a grand memory of field day. Seriously. Stop. Think about it. I mean it was good fun! 


making his official blog debut 



My son, Kingston just had his first field day experience. Guess who was a volunteer? 
Muah!  So, I couldn't help it. I was really pumped for this because of my own childhood experiences.  I laced Kingston up with sports tattoos under the eyes, gave him a good hearty breakfast and had Big Don's "Brand New Beat" bumping in the livingroom.  Yes, we were "turnt up" at 8:30 in the morning. Cause that's what we do on field day!

So, I started thinking..."Gotta give him a pep talk, gotta give him a pep talk." This is about competition. Winning.  Then, the Holy Spirit spoke, using the gift of music. Big Dons "The Tortoise and the Hare" came on. 

All I can say is as I listened to the lyrics, TRUTH rang from the holy hills ya'll.  My speech was gonna go something like this:

"Kingston, your an Oliver and you play to W. I. N. Win!"

By the time the Holy Spirit got a hold of me, His speech was gonna go like this:
"Kingston, your an Oliver and you finish well!"

huh?

Many of you have heard the story of "The Tortoise and the Hare"(so I will spare us all and highlight one of the principles of the story.)

The hare ran fast and thought he had such a lead the he started to chill out. Only to realize he didn't cross the finish line. While the tortoise ran his race diligently, heartily and at his pace to finish and win the race.

I had to think to myself, what am I trying to teach Kingston at this tender age? Running fast or running to the end?

Now this is where God get's real real. He leaned in to me and said...

Te'Sheba, Why are you running fast and checking out, when you know you have not finished what I asked you to do? Sheesh. 

It hit me like a ton of bricks. And in that moment(His love covered me with Truth).

As for Kingston, I gave him the glorified, sanctified, organ playing pep talk to BE THE TORTOISE!

Ponder: Are you running fast and checking out or are you pressing in to finish the race? 

Pause: What is causing your checkouts or press ins?

Petition: Tell Him. Listen. Do.

xoxoxo 

1 comment :

  1. Excellent analogies! Thanks for the action oriented reminder. We must live our lives to position ourselves to listen, hear & adhere with obedience to what we have heard.

    ReplyDelete